Tonight I’m making this easy Vietnamese dish called Beef Luc Lac (Bo Luc Lac) also known as Vietnamese Shaking Beef.
1-2 lb beef sirloin (cut into cubes or thinly sliced)
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp sesame oil (optional) / 1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp Maggie soy sauce/any soy sauce
a pinch of grounded pepper
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tomato (sliced)
Lettuce or Watercress
1. Add the minced garlic, fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, soy sauce, oil, pepper in a mixing bowl and mix these ingredients together. Before you add the raw meat, make sure you taste the sauce to see if you would like to add more sugar or fish sauce for taste.
2. Cut the beef sirloin in either small cubes (1-2cm) or thinly sliced as desired
3. Add the meat into the mixing bowl and mix everything together evenly. Store this in the refrigerator for a few hours or better yet, overnight.
4. Once the beef has been marinated for some time, it’s time to cook the beef. Start by putting a large skillet over high heat. Add a bit of oil and sprinkle some minced garlic if you wish, let that sizzle for 5-7 seconds. Make sure you use a wooden spatula to stir the garlic around to prevent it from burning.
5. Throw in the marinated beef. Make sure the heat is on high as this will cook the outside, locking in the flavours inside. After the outside turns into a nice brown colour, put the heat on medium and let that cook for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add some rice on a plate, add the salad – either chopped lettuce or watercress (make sure the long stems are trimmed) as a side with a few slices of tomato on top. Finally, add the cooked beef on top of the rice.
Feel free to play around with the ingredients as desired to taste. You don’t have to follow this recipe 100%. Have fun!